I have to admit sometimes I thought pregnancy might be like the movies…you start puking, then you find out you are pregnant. You have more morning sickness, after that you feel fine, while your belly becomes its own zip code. After you finally pop the baby out in that fast delivery, you get back into your pre-pregnacy clothes in no time. That’s definitely not true! Here are some of the things about pregnancy that have surprised me…and my thoughts so far.
What I Expected to Happen But Hasn’t:
- Morning sickness – a few nauseous moments but they went away quickly.
- Getting up to pee in the middle of the night – I’m definitely going more than usual, but not during the night…. yet.
- Getting moody – I have to say, I think I act the same. My husband even agreed (unless he was scared I would get mad, hehe)
What I Didn’t Expect to Happen But Has:
- Fatigue – comes and goes. I can be full of energy one day, and extremely tired the next. I have noticed that I am almost always sleepy after I eat. Luckily, I haven’t had any major fatigue since Saturday.
- Constant feeling of being bloated – I have that “I ate way too much pizza” feeling all the time. I wonder if that will ever go away?
- Cramping – They started almost a week after I found out that I was pregnant, and still happen every couple days. Not sure when they will end if ever? It’s very mild, so nothing to be worried about. It’s just the natural stretching of the uterus.
The best part about pregnancy so far: It was definitely the 12 week ultrasound! It was so exciting to see Baby O squirming around. The baby is so active, but I still can’t feel a thing. We got to see Baby O’s hands and feet, even the tiny little bones. Also seeing the heart beat and the brain hemispheres was crazy. There really is a little person in there!
What scares me the most: Besides the obvious childbirth aspect, the next big one is hemorrhoids. They sound so painful and I’ve heard so many horror stories! Just thinking of my insides being somewhere they aren’t supposed to be gives me anxiety.
What I’m looking forward to the most: Right now, it’s finding out the gender. Jay thinks it’s going to be a boy. I’m not quite sure yet. I can’t see how anyone could have the suspense of waiting until the baby is born to find out. Plus, that will give me the a-ok to start doing some shopping! We’ll find out in early November at our next ultrasound.
What I miss the most: Wine and Sushi! I never really had a good farewell to sushi, I will miss it a lot over the next 6 ½ months or so I have left. I miss having a bottle of wine with my hubby on Friday nights sitting on our porch. I’ll have sips once in a while, but nothing more than that.
What I thought I couldn’t eat: When I first got pregnant, I had an idea of what I couldn’t eat…raw fish, tuna, undercooked beef. But I had no clue that I couldn’t eat deli meat (unless super heated) or un pasteurized cheese. Luckily, most cheeses are pasteurized. Phew. But I always have to check the labels of soft and “veiny” cheese. Luckily I haven’t had a problem finding one of my faves, blue cheese, pasteurized. But, I won’t order it if I’m eating at a restaurant. I also didn’t really touch coffee until after my first appointment.
What my doctor told me I could eat: Medium rare steaks and sushi that wasn’t high in mercury (only once in a while). Yay! But it still scares me to eat raw sushi so I haven’t yet. I think it even scares Jay more than me. But I still love a good Shrimp Tempura roll. The pasteurized cheese rule is very true, unpasteurized cheese can carry Listeria, which is very dangerous to the baby. Deli meat also needs to be heated just in case. Another plus, I CAN have coffee! One cup a day, and no caffeine the rest of the day. That is totally fine, that is exactly what I did pre-gregnancy.
Next week, stay tuned for my 13 Week update. Have a great weekend! Any big plans?