Yes, it’s THAT good! I’m pretty much obsessed with cheese, and now that I’m preggo I always want it. Macaroni and Cheese is one of my favorite comfort foods. I honestly have only made it from scratch a handful of times. In college, I was all about Easy Mac! Every time I’ve made it I always thought there was something missing. But I finally nailed it. This is what I think is the perfect (or close enough) mac & cheese.
Pasta & Sauce
• 1 – 16 oz pkg elbow macaroni (I used Gemelli this time)
• 6 tbsp butter
• 6 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 4 cups whole milk
• 1 – 16oz block of sharp white cheddar, shredded (use a good cheese!)
• 12 slices American Cheese, cut into pieces
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
• ¼ tsp white pepper
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
• ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
2. Preheat oven to 375.
3. In a large saucepan, melt the 6 tbsp butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to make a light roux.
4. Add milk to roux slowly, whisking constantly until it is smooth.
5. Stir in cheeses and spices, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thicker. Note: It will have a bisque-like consistency (not that thick) and you might think you over sauced. This is normal! It will come out perfectly.
6. Add macaroni into the saucepan to mix with sauce. Stir well.
7. Pour macaroni and cheese into a 9×13 casserole dish.
8. In a medium bowl, melt 2 tbsp of butter for the topping. Then add the parmesan and panko and stir until combined.
9. Spread topping over the macaroni and cheese to cover.
10. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes. Then set oven to broil to brown the top (Watch carefully, this should only take a couple minutes.) Serve and enjoy!
What is your favorite cheese to put in mac & cheese?