There is a plethora of excellent produce here in Modesto. That being said, I always buy way too much, especially strawberries. I also happened to buy zucchini. I was going to make Zucchini Boats for dinner one night, but we ended up going out that night instead. The strawberries were quickly deteriorating. Then I saw this recipe for Zucchini Blueberry Bread and wanted to change it up for what I had on hand. Here is my creation…
Zucchini Strawberry Walnut Bread
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup non fat plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (I peeled mine before shredding)
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, yogurt, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the strawberries and walnuts. Transfer to the prepared pans.
- Bake 50-60 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
This recipe makes 2 loaves, perfect to gift one. You can also cut it into slices and freeze individually. I’m gonna toast some up this weekend and serve with mascarpone, yum!
Now I’m off to an exciting weekend ahead! Wine Festival tomorrow and Chocolate Festival on Sunday. What are your plans for the weekend?