On Sunday, I was really in the mood to bake something healthy. I remember hearing about Christin’s Chocolate Chip Chickpea Cookies and knew that’s what was going to be in my oven. I tweaked it a little bit to suit the ingredients I had in stock.
These can easily be gluten free if you use brown rice flour like Christin’s original recipe. You can even make them vegan just by using vegan chocolate chips and all peanut butter instead of nutella.
Chocolate Chip Nutella Chickpea Cookies
makes 15 cookies, total time: 30 minutes
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp nutella
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 ½ tbsp all purpose flour
- ½ tbsp agave nectar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ packet stevia
- 2 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400
- Combine all ingredients (except for the almond milk and the chocolate chips) in a food processor until well combined.
- Add almond milk one tbsp at a time while the food processor is running until the dough reaches a smooth consistency.
- Scoop the dough into a bowl and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Use a heaping spoonful for each cookie, roll between hands to make a smooth ball, and place balls on foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool on sheet for a few minutes, and then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Can be stored for several days in an airtight container, or put in the fridge or freezer for longer storage.
They are rich and gooey chocolate treats! Out of the oven they were so melty and delish, and the flavors got even better after letting them sit for a few hours. I gave one to my 2 year old neighbor and she couldn’t get enough….and she is picky! I’m so glad I have some left to snack on the rest of the week.
What is your favorite “healthy” treat?