Last week was a pretty rough one for me. A few days after coming back from vacation, I had major coughing fits. I went to the gym and could barely keep up. Then I felt a crackling in my chest and went to the doctor asap. They thought I had pneumonia but luckily it ended up being just a lung infection. Now I’m Z-packed up and almost ready to get back into my regular routine! Woohoo
While I was sick, I knew the best think to soothe my aching throat would be soup. My mind darted to French Onion when I remembered we had these awesome soup crocks I bought on clearance from Crate & Barrel. So after looking at a few recipes and digging out my Crock Pot, here is what I came up with…
French Onion Soup
Soup (Serves 4)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp EVOO
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 32 oz box beef stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Pepper to taste
- 4 slices French bread, 1 inch thick
- 4 oz Gruyere (or Mozzarella)
1. Add butter and EVOO to the slow cooker
2. Add the sliced onions, salt and sugar. Stir to evenly coat the onions.
3. Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 9-10 hours ( if in a rush, 4 hours on high should be good). Onions will be a perfect caramelized brown.
4. When onions have finished, add the stock, wine, Worcestershire, and pepper. Add more salt if needed. Set slow cooker to high and cook for one hour.
5. Towards the end of the cooking time, toast the bread in the toaster until golden brown and crisp.
6. Set oven to broil, and place oven proof crocks on cookie sheet
7. Ladel the soup into the crocks, add the toasted bread and top with cheese.
8. Place under broil for a few minutes until cheese is golden & bubbly. Make sure to watch this process very carefully!
The soup turned out freakin awesome! The only part I would change in the future is the cheese, I used sliced gruyere and it wasn’t melty enough for me. I love the oozing, burn your mouth cheese you usually get at restaurants.
Now that the
soup antibiotics have cured me, I’m ready to finally get back into action. My post-vacation plan is now ready. I did get Turbo Fire delivered last week, and I unpacked the pretty box and put it right by my DVD player. I’ll be doing one of the workouts tomorrow and let you know how it goes!
What’s your go to food when you are sick?