Last week I got my copy of Hungry Girl 300 Under 300: 300 Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Dishes, I was so excited to try it out! It was like fate was calling me…as soon as I opened the book it flopped to the Crock Pot category. I perused the pages and this recipe seemed easy (only 15 minute prep) and tasty…healthy enough for a woman, hearty enough for a man I used my new camera to take these photos, but it’s not too great with our lighting. Any photo pointers or fancy stuff I can buy??
This recipe is tweaked from the original just a tad (added more corn, used beef instead of turkey, and added salt) and it came out great! I topped mine with Light Sour Cream, Shredded Cheddar & Frank’s Red Hot. It was so good and filling. I will be making this again for shizzle.
Outside-In Tamale Pie
• 1.3 lbs Lean Ground Beef
• 10 oz can of Tomatoes with Green Chiles (don’t drain)
• 3/4 cup Course Yellow Corn Meal
• 1 medium Onion (diced)
• 1 can Sliced Black Olives (3.8 oz, drained)
• 1 can Corn, drained
• 1 cup Chicken Stock
• 1/2 cup Kidney Beans (drained & rinsed)
• 1 tsp Cumin
• 2 tsp Chili Powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add beef and spread it around to break it up a bit. Cook and crumble until meat is brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Drain any excess liquid and add to the crock pot.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal with broth and whisk thoroughly. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add cornmeal mixture to the crock pot along with all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 – 4 hours or on low for 7 – 8 hours.
- Serve and, if you like, top each serving with hot sauce, cheese or sour cream (all 3 is best!).
Any photo advice? Or more Crock Pot recipes? I’m obsessed!